In July 2019, the inaugural Primary Industries New Zealand Summit welcomed over 300 representatives from across the primary industries to Te Papa. 50% of the audience was made up of farmers and producers from across the primary industries with the other half being representative of those involved in the primary industries value chain, including the major co-operatives, exporters and commercial businesses, government officials and policy makers, researchers and scientists and key advocates from the sector. Over the 2 days delegates gathered to share insights on opportunities and challenges that are common to all sectors.
The purpose of the event is to bring together the audience, representing the primary industries to share insights, create connections and solve challenges collaboratively.
- Analysis and expert insight informing the outlook for a sustainable future
- High-level collaboration across the commercial and primary sectors and conversations centred around issues close to the hearts of our primary producers
- Showcasing some of the best examples of New Zealand’s primary industries on a national stage.
The Summit featured an exceptional national and international speaker line up who delivered thought-provoking presentations and discussions and created an unrivalled platform for networking and engagement.
This year's stellar line up of speakers included:
- Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand
- Hon Damien O’Connor, Minister for Agriculture, Biosecurity, Food Safety and Rural Communities
- Ken Ash, Director of Trade and Agriculture, OECD
- Hans Jöhr, Corporate Head of Agriculture, Nestlé
- Broughton Boydell, Senior Staff Engineer, Intelligent Solutions Group, John Deere
- Carolyn Mortland, Director of Sustainability, Fonterra
- Joshua Vial, Founder, Enspiral
- Kevin Parish, Chief Executive Officer, Primary Collaboration New Zealand (Shanghai) Co Ltd
- Lisa Tumahai, Kaiwhakahaere, Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu
The ultimate gathering of the primary industries, as well as an evening of celebration at the Primary Industries New Zealand Gala Dinner and Awards.